Friday, May 14, 2010

Moved in all Official Like


I’m here! In St. Marten. It feels…surreal to have my own place. After living in close quarters with people for the last five months I’m pretty lonely here in my new pad. But I do have lots of roommates, just not the kind I prefer. The new ones are a bit on the either fiery or sneaky side of things (fire ants, cockroaches, and spiders). My new home is very…how do I put this? …Caribbean.

I am the proud renter of a small, one bedroom, flat type thing located on the property of an antique shop that is permanently closed. There are a few other renters located below me and in another building on the property, which is COVERED in old stuff. Single shoes, broken plates, hundreds of potted plants, bikes…anything you want, we got it…just so long as you don’t mind a little mold and mildew. My flat, when I first arrived, was very similar to the surrounding area. Broken dishes, old shirts etc. filled most of the cabinets and drawers. I spent the majority of my first day cleaning (aka throwing shit out) and organizing my stuff. I am proud to say things are looking much better and much more bug free!

My room has a fridge, sink, hot plate, single bed, bunk bed (I sleep on the bottom one because it is fully enclosed in mosquito netting), broken TV, shelving unit, radio four old chairs (three of which I have stuck outside), and side desk. I also have my own bathroom! The porch has one (now four) chairs, a couch, table, and two sitting chairs, large old moldy cabinet, and old propane tank.

On the property (which I am making sound large but it is actually very, very tiny) my land lady has: dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens (which are frickin LOUD), ducks, turtles, and land crabs…I think that’s it. Let’s just say you have to watch where you walk.

So now you are up to date on my flat! It’s wonderful. I don’t know how I can convince certain people that it’s amazing but it really is. I love it already and I’ve only slept here two nights!

Today I rented a car and drove around St. Marten (it certainly doesn’t take that long!). I found lots of little bakery’s, café’s, restaurants, and beaches. The big event of today was that I bought a bike!! It’s this little white BMX bike whose brakes are a little iffy but will get me where I need to go.

I am on the Dutch side of the island in Simpsons Bay, The dive shop that I will be working at, starting at 07:00 tomorrow morning(!!!), is an eight minute walk. I live one road off of the main street in a pretty active part of the bay. There are lots of beach bars and restaurants that are open into the wee hours of the morning.

Last night, I went to the restaurant/bar across the street and had the most delicious enchiladas. There happened to be a hockey game playing (Canadiens vs. Penguins) and although the Canadiens are not my team and I don’t usually watch hockey, I was the only Canadian in the bar and all the Americans were rowdy about their team winning. We won 5:2. So basically, I have established myself as a Canadian and will be joining the bar tenders (G and Brian) and waitress (Bonny) this Sunday for another game.

St. Marten is wonderful so far and I can’t wait for diving tomorrow!

I hope all is well with everyone is keeping up with my adventures =)

No comments:

Post a Comment