Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Vacation Home

So I ended up doing a surprise visit home last week. It was so strange being back; everything from driving fast in TWO lanes of traffic, to stop lights (we have one on the island), to seeing the copious amounts of food selection in grocery stores, to being back in the land of $4 coffees at Starbucks and donuts at Tim Hortons. The biggest difference was the pace of life. Everything there happened so FAST! People drive fast, they talk fast, they eat fast. It’s like we are all in some kind of rush to get to wherever we are going next instead of enjoying the moment. The other thing was that it was all planned out. It seems everyone loves to make plans even if it is for something happening days from then. I guess the island life is wearing off on me! :) Also I FROZE!!! It was FREEZING in Canada! I woke up one morning to snow!...needless to say I was not very impressed..



I was able to surprise my grandmother, good thing we had doctors present! She was very happy to see me and it was good to be able to spend some time with her (going to Cirque du Soleil) and my Opa (working at the ranch with suicide willie…a squirrel). I spent most of the week in appointments and with family and was able to see only a few people. It was still nice to be home and eating wonderful home cooked meals. After I flew to Victoria to see Amy for a day, we spent most of our time sitting on a set of steps by the ocean. It was incredible to see her after over a year and realize that so very much has changed in my life, in me, but it has not changed us. I then took a ferry to Seattle to see Catherine, we found a troll under a bridge (it’s the one from the movie “Ten Things I Hate About You”). Then a flight to San Francisco, San Francisco to New York, ten hour layover in the airport in which I made friends with the security guard, then finally back to my island!

It was strange to be away but also strange coming back, it made me realize, more then anything, that I am meant to be here. Kelley picked me up from the airport and we screamed and bounced around when we saw each other. Everyone was happy to have me back and I realize how much of a life and community I have created for myself here.

Now that I am back Kelley and her sister and I have moved in to a new house together. It is back in Simpsons Bay and half a block from the beach. We live in a three bedroom on the third and final floor of a beautiful old building. It’s got distinct “island style” and I love it! We have a balcony, full kitchen (with a gas burning stover which means we will be able to still cook when its hurricaning), and two bathrooms. The neighbourhood is not wonderful but it is more that it is just poor then anything else. We joke that we wont ever get into trouble because this is where all the gangsters grandmothers live. I am happy to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment