Monday, June 20, 2011

New Adventure

At 33ft long Gypsy Cat is a sailing catamaran perfect for the Caribbean. She is captained by Chris, one of the sailors who spends high season in St. Maarten. I have known Chris for most of the season and when my friend Tess told me about his upcoming delivery to the US it seemed like a perfect plan. In the days following turning down the job on the Mega Yacht I had no idea what I was going to do but one evening at Open Mic Night at Lagoonies, a local bar where many of the sailors hang out, I learned Chris would be delivering his catamaran up to Annapolis, Maryland. Tess was going to accompany him as well but in true Caribbean style plans change and she accepted another job.

So now I am officially First Mate on Gypsy Cat! Chris is our Captain and we have two Czech people with us as well, Martin and Marketa. The trip is expected to last around six weeks, the rough plan being to sail from St. Maarten to St. Barths, the British Virgin Islands, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bahamas, then Maryland. What I am extremely excited about with this trip is that it will very much be a “Hey that island looks cool, lets go check it out!” or “The surfing and diving here is awesome, we should stay a few more days!” So, even though six weeks is our guessing point who knows how long it will be! Based on weather and adventure!

So this Saturday afternoon I will say goodbye to the island that has been my home for over a year. I must say I am definitely going to miss it! It has become my home and community. Many of the people here have become like a family to me. I have met the largest mix of people on this island; the strangest, most intelligent, most eccentric people I have in my life. But on to a new adventure for the summer and I will be back in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment