Friday, August 5, 2011

Swim with Manatees? Yes please!

We are now in beautiful Puerto Rico after bouncing around a few of the surrounding islands including Culebrita and Culebra. We also managed to go to Salinas, a small island just outside of Fajardo (on the mainland), where I was put up the mast. At forty five feet above the deck, sitting in the “bosons chair” which is clipped in to the main halyard, it was my job to fix a line. Simple task turned extremely hard with winds that, on deck felt like a slight breeze, up top felt like a howling wind that shook the mast, and me, with each breath. I eventually succeeded and it was time to focus on my next task, scouring the waters for manatees! Unfortunately, I didn’t see any while up the mast (or maybe that’s a good thing, I probably would have been way too excited for it to be safe), but as soon as we were anchored we took off in the tender in search of them. We managed to find several groups and were able to go for small swims with some. The water was incredibly murky and they move very quickly for such lazy animals so it was a little difficult but also very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment