Monday, December 7, 2009

Intro to Adventure

Dear Diary.

JUST KIDDING! That will definitely not be how I start these off. Dear…Blog? People who want to follow me around the world? Haha I have no clue how to start this so I might as well jump right in! Basically, as most of you know, I am heading out to take on the world! Or at least explore and experience a part of it. I am going to try and keep a blog for most of my travels so that everyone back home can keep up, if they choose, and I don’t have to be sending out millions of emails and facebook messages.

My adventure starts off on in one of the townships (slums) of Cape Town, South Africa. I will be volunteering for a little less then a month in an AIDS orphanage I visited last time. It’s called Baphumelele Children’s Home and houses up to 100 kids at any given time. The plan is for me to help out with general care (feeding, cleaning, playing, and teaching) of the kids and I’ll be staying in one of the ‘houses’ with some of the children. At the moment I'm also fundraising for the orphanage so if anyone is interested in donating ($5??) please let me know!

On January 11th I’m meeting up with Joe and Brian (two of my fellow shipmates from Sea|mester) and we will be doing some exploring in Cape Town until the 15th when we jump on a 112ft, double masted, schooner for 90 days (January 15-April 14). This is a working ship and after covering over 6000 miles (not km!) we will dock in Antigua after crossing the southern Atlantic Ocean, visiting St. Helena, Brazil (Bahia, Recife, Fortaleza, Belem), French Guiana (Devil’s island), and Caribbean Lesser Antilles (Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, Guadeloupe). I am taking the Intro to Marine Biology, Intro to Oceanography, and Professional Skipper Crew Training classes while onboard. As well, I will be working on specialty scuba and sailing certifications on the way.

After my sea rat experience my plan is…well..ahem…my plan is to… okay I actually don’t have a plan. But ultimately I will be traveling until I run out of money. I would love to start off exploring the Caribbean and then move on to South America and/or Australia/New Zealand and working along the way. It is all dependent on funds and what I am feeling in the moment.

Regardless of what I end up choosing I am stoked for it all to start!! And I certainly wont be waiting much longer…only 7 days!!

4 comments:

  1. :] So excited to read this on a regular basis Cayley!

    PS. We need to have a coffee date before you go!

    Cu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your adventure, Iv always wanted to go explore the world but never really got it together. Keep us all updated and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rawr
    i'm so excited for your adventures to begin
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cayley, what an adventure you have begun! I have no doubt that it will lead to countless lifelong memories and, in the process likely reveal guidance on where it is that you really want your life to take you!

    ReplyDelete