Thursday, June 24, 2010

Nice To Meet You, Goodbye!

The one thing I have found with traveling is that I’ve meet people from all around the world. Some come in to my life for a night, some a few days, others a few months. Some I wish I hadn’t met, some I wish I could keep around forever, and some I’ve already forgotten. Saying both hello and goodbye has become a regular part of my life but living “on island” (as the locals call it) has been a big change for me. I am no longer the one leaving; rather I am the one being left.

Recently, I have met some pretty amazing people. I met a long time diver, Dave, who was here for three weeks and was wonderful. I learned so much from him and he was a lot of fun to have on the boat. I’ve met one person who I had one night of huge life chats on the beach, who challenged me and asked the hard questions I didn’t necessarily want to answer, and is now gone. I met one person who is dying and alone. I had to say goodbye to Astrid who has become an important figure in my life and I am heartbroken that she has to leave (her and her husband live on a boat and it’s hurricane season). I’ve met someone who I couldn’t say goodbye to fast enough and hope I don’t see again. I met someone who I’ve connected with really well and who might be a lifelong friend.

It’s funny how people come in to our lives at specific times. When something happens and there is a connection between two people what is left? If one person leaves and there is no time to keep that connection did it mean anything? But then there are the connections that are for maybe ten minutes but remain with you months later. Some people walk through our lives without notice. Others leave footprints in your memories like they had run through a field of fresh snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment