Thursday, June 3, 2010

Street Mango

I often buy my fruits and some veggies from a fruit stand that is just around the corner and across the street from me. It is run by a women named Alice who is this sweet little old lady who is incredibly senile and I have to remind her who I am every time I go. For the most part, the food is really quite good; very fresh and tasty. But you have to remember to wash it. And check for maggots.

Anyway, the other day I decided to get some mangos. They looked beautiful and deliciously ripe. I bought two and brought them, along with the rest of my fruits, back to my flat. I washed everything and put some of it in the fridge and the others in my food container (I bought a large, sealable container for things like cereal and fruit because of the ants and other bugs in my flat). I got up the next morning to an awful surprise. There were ants ALL in my food container. Hundreds of them. I started pulling things out trying to salvage what I could and trying to figure out where they were coming from all while trying very hard to keep them off of me.

They were coming from my beautiful mango.

And they were fire ants.

No comments:

Post a Comment