Monday, April 26, 2010

Bug Bites!

First of all I would like to inform everyone that I am INCREDIBLY ICHY!!!! There are a million and one mosquitoes here and I think I have been bitten in every place possible...I think I have bites on top of bites. Part of it serves me right for swimming in the ocean, then walking the beach at night without bug spray but still. I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating on anything else. Hard life I know. Everyone should be feeling really sorry for me right now. =P

Anyways,
After program ended most people left within the first two or three days. These goodbyes were some of the hardest I've had to make. I know I said that about the orphanage too but there's something about having lived with someone for three months and being within 112ft of them EVERY DAY that makes you pretty close. A few of us chose to stay longer, usually a week, with the exception of Cat and I. We left today (actually I haven't left yet...I'm still sitting in the airport waiting for my flight).

Antigua is a beautiful island and if you ever have the opportunity to come here I would highly encourage it. Cat and I have spent the last two weeks adventuring around and enjoying our new found freedom of not having a strict schedule.


One of the big highlights was Shirley Heights. On Sunday evenings you can make your way up to the top of a hill from which you can see all of English and Fowlmouth Harbour. While watching the sunset you can enjoy the music of the steel drum band and munch down on a delicious dinner. Later there is live music and the party begins! Shirley Heights is rated as the #1 place to be in the world on a Sunday night by National Geographic. Just sayin.

We were also here over the 2010 Classics Regatta (which Argo sailed in!!!) as well as the beginning of the 2010 Race Week. We were able to get up a couple of mornings and walk up to a small set of ruins from which we could watch the races. The atmosphere is intense and there are some unbelievable ships here. The money that has been walking around Antigua is incredible! The rumor is that Johnny Depp's ship was here for a while as well as a few other celebrity figures.


After everyone had left Cat and I went to the opposite side of the island for some much needed R+R. We stayed in a small "hotel" just outside of St. Johns. It was absolutely beautiful. It's the low season for them right now so we were bumped up to an ocean view room(!!) that had AC and an incredibly comfortable bed.

I'm so sad to be saying goodbye to Antigua and Argo but excited for the times ahead. I am on my way to St. Croix (part of the US Virgin Islands)where I will be visiting Kara (one of the women I went to Africa with last time, in 2007).I haven't seen her in years so pretty stoked for that!

My plane is about to board so I have to run but I hope everyone at home is doing well and thank you for the birthday wishes!

Much love and light!

No comments:

Post a Comment